AcademicsAcademic SupportOffice of Accessibility

Office of Accessibility Resources

Naropa University is committed to providing services to assure an accessible environment for students with disabilities. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section #504 of the Rehabilitation Act, the Office of Accessibility Resources (OAR) coordinates the university’s efforts to provide full access to educational, cultural and other programs sponsored by the university for qualified students with disabilities.     

Services Provided

Naropa’s services include assistance to students with documented disabilities such as (but not limited to) specific learning disabilities, physical/mobility disabilities, medical and psychological disabilities. Students who are unsure about the necessity for assistance are encouraged to speak to the Office of Accessibility Resources (OAR) to explore their individual situation. Naropa’s policies and procedures regarding the provision of academic accommodations and auxiliary aids to students with disabilities are available upon request from the OAR.                             

Our Location

The Office of Accessibility Resource’s offices are located on the second floor of Wulsin Hall in The Learning Commons, an alliance of campus resources that actively collaborate to support a student’s journey toward self-discovery, academic success, and engaged action in the world. 
You can reach the Accessibility Resource Coordinator, Moises Hinojosa, in the corner office on the side facing the open green space and at and you can reach the Accessibility Specialist, Casandra Owens, in office 5213 and at

Roles & Responsibilities


>Ensuring that accommodations are renewed and accurate by reading, verifying, and signing their accommodation letters in Accommodate.

>Reviewing accommodations when they are initially sent out and at the start of each semester.

>Ensuring that faculty receive their accommodations notice letter.

>Communicating with faculty/giving notice to faculty around any accommodations that require notice.

>Communicating as soon as concerns about accommodations not being implemented to the department chair. 

Violet brush


>Implementing accommodations according to the accommodations notice letter for each student in their course. Please use this page as a resource on how to provide certain accommodations.

>Reading, understanding parameters, and signing their accommodation letter in Accommodate.

>Reaching out to accessibility office personnel with any concerns around accommodations as soon as possible.

Office of Accessibility Resources

>Reviewing documentation and processing student's accommodations thoroughly.

>Providing support and clarity for students surrounding accommodations.

>Coordinating services such as transcripts, note taking software, and ASL interpreters for students with approved accommodations.

>Supporting faculty with training and clarifying meetings around specific accommodations.

>Updating the Accessibility Resources site on MyNaropa with relevant tools and guidance in the implementation of accommodations to refer students to.

Comprehensive Resources for Prospective & Current Students

  • First, you will make an accommodation request via our platform Accommodate. Access the request form.
  • Next you will fill out the form it takes you to.
  • Lastly, it is important that you attach your documentation and that it meets the requirements (listed below).

Documentation Requirements for Accommodations    

Your letter must be on their professional letterhead and not handwritten and include:

  1. Your name
  2. Your diagnosis with either the DSMV or IC10 codes from your health care provider
  3. The health care provider’s signature, and their license number.
  4. Recommended Accommodations from your provider based on their knowledge of your condition

Once you submit this request with documentation, if you have a Naropa email address, please go to and schedule a meeting via the Appointment tab on the left side of the Accommodate main screen.

If you do NOT have a address yet, please email Casandra Owens at to schedule a meeting.

The meetings typically take 15–30 minutes and can be in person at Naropa’s Arapahoe campus or via Zoom. 

In this meeting we will discuss how your diagnosis impacts your educational experience and what accommodations will support you best. 

  • After that meeting, we will approve your accommodations through our platform Accommodate, and the system will generate a notice of your accommodations to be sent out to your faculty.

Here is some additional information:

Requirements for Service Animals

  1. Current rabies vaccination record as per Boulder County Health code
  2. Must be under your control at all times. This means they are not to be pet by other students, faculty or staff. And the Service Dog must respond to your commands.
  3. The service animal can not be left in the care of other students in class during the class.
  4. Please check with Stephan in Housing for additional animal care considerations as well as making sure your roommates (If Any) do not have an allergy or phobia to dogs.

Requirements for Emotional Support Animals

  1. Current rabies vaccination record as per Boulder County Health code
  2. Allowed in student housing only unless an exception is made in the documentation request.
  3. They can not be left in the care of other students in hosuing or in class (if approved in class) 
  4. Must be under your control at all times
  5. Not display aggressive behaviors such as growling, barking or snipping at persons
  6. Specifically mentioned in your documentation as a recommended treatment

It depends on the type of condition you have…

  • Psychological Challenges: PTSD, Anxiety, Depression, OCD, etc.
  • Physical Challenges: Mobility challenges, Limited use of hands, feet or legs, Low Vision, Deafness, Blindness, etc.
  • Chronic Medical Conditions: TBI’s, Auto-Immune Disorders, Migraines, Cancer, etc.
  • Learning Specific Challenges: ADHD, Non-Verbal Learning Disorder, Asperger’s, Autism, etc.

Naropa University does not have a facility that provides diagnostic testing or staff who provide diagnosis for accommodations.

Students are responsible for attaining diagnostic documentation and the expense associated.

Students must submit diagnostic documentation as part of the accommodation application process. Because accommodations cannot be applied retroactively, we strongly recommend students acquire documentation prior to the start of the semester or as early as they become aware of a disability.

Students can read below to understand what documentation is needed, whom to get it from, and how to acquire it. Students who already have documentation can read on to make sure their documentation meets the requirements.

This information is to help guide students to find the most affordable and time-efficient path.

Note: always call or email your intended provider to ask the office staff if they can diagnose the type of condition(s) you have to save you time and money.

Psychological Conditions

If you have a more common condition such as Generalized Anxiety Disorder or Depression a general Medical Doctor (MD) can diagnose and provide documentation for these. Not all MDs are experienced or comfortable making complex psychological diagnosis. If you have a more complex mental health condition such as Bi-Polar, CPTSD, OCD, or Autism see a psychologist who specializes in diagnosing these conditions.

Physical Conditions

If you have mobility limitations, you may have diagnostic paperwork from your General Practitioner (MD, PA, LNP, etc.), Physical or Occupational Therapist, Orthopedic Doctor, or even a Pediatric Doctor if you are recently out of high school.

If you have disability benefits form the VA, Social Security Administration, etc. these documentation letters may meet the documentation requirements listed below.

Medical Conditions

If you have Seizures, Auto Immune Disease, blindness, or loss of hearing, a Medical Doctor, Ophthalmologist, or Audiologist may have to diagnose you. Since these conditions sometimes require various tests to diagnose, it is imperative that you have your health care provider write the letter with the requirements you will see below. The Accessibility Resources staff is not legally able to interpret test results. This is why Naropa requires that the healthcare provider make the diagnosis of disability to apply for accommodations.

Any self-diagnosing websites like WebMD, family testimonials, symptoms without a documented diagnosis, etc.

Some conditions are not permanent and need to be updated every 3 years. If you are unsure about your specific condition, please reach out to inquire at

Disclaimer: Every practitioner is different. Some work for themselves and can charge whatever rate they choose.

Others work for a facility and their rates depend on the facility’s financial structure if it is for profit, non-profit, or if it specializes in serving low-income clients. It is also possible that your condition might require a health care provider that is on the higher end of the scale in terms of expense.

Here is a general spectrum of healthcare providers organized from most expensive to least expensive.

Most ExpensiveLeast Expensive
PsychiatristTherapist/ Counselor
NeurologistGeneral Medical DoctorNurse Practitioner
SurgeonPhysical TherapistOccupational TherapistOrientation & Mobility Specialist

Note: If you have medical insurance, please consult them to see which providers are on their list. VA benefits should also be consulted before scheduling any other health care appointments.

Standard medical care personnel can include medical doctors, Doctors of Osteopathy, Psychologists, Psychiatrists, and allied health professionals such as nurses and physical therapists.

Alternative medical practices may include Homeopathy, Traditional Chinese Medicine, Naturopathy, Ayurveda, Chiropractic, Meditation, Acupuncturists, Reiki Healers, Biofeedback, Hypnotherapy, etc.

Although alternative health care providers can be very beneficial to one’s health, they are not legally able to make the diagnosis to meet ADA criteria. Therefore, they cannot provide students with documentation letters to apply for accommodations.

If you are unsure about your health care provider’s legal ability, please reach out to

Note: There are instances when an alternative medicine practitioner may also hold a medical license or other allied health care license and might be able to diagnose you. Please ask your provider before investing in treatment.

Adults choose to undergo an LD assessment for a number of reasons, including:

  • Significant problems at work or school that prevent them from reaching their career and/or educational goals
  • Significant problems in daily life (e.g., relationships, managing finances, decision-making)
  • A desire to know why they have always struggled to learn and remember information

The first step to overcoming challenges is to determine the cause of the challenges. By completing the LD assessment process, adults can obtain the information and documentation they need to formally request accommodations at work or in school, and to determine effective strategies for learning and living based on their areas of strengths.

An LD assessment is a gathering of relevant information about an individual’s areas of strengths and challenges to determine whether or not the person may have a learning disability. The components of the assessment process may vary depending on which individual, clinic, or agency is conducting the assessment, but most assessments include the following:

  • Screening (informal interview, brief test, career interest inventories, and/or review of medical, school, or work histories)
  • Evaluation (formal testing for achievement, intelligence, and processing)
  • Diagnosis (a statement specifying the results of the assessment, including the type of LD identified)
  • Recommendations (for work, school, and/or daily living)


Bhutan Study Abroad Accessibility Resources

Students with physical, mental or emotional conditions who may require accommodation to participate in the Bhutan Study Abroad program are encouraged to contact the Office of Accessibility Resources well before the program application deadline.

There is no equivalent Americans with Disabilities Act (“ADA”) law in Bhutan. Features of Royal University Bhutan campuses, including dorms, may present challenges to some students. Steep staircases and uneven paths dominate the vast majority of campus buildings. The Office of Accessibility can provide students, upon request, with additional information regarding the facilities and educational structure of RUB’s campuses.

Additional Study Abroad Resources for Students with Disabilities

Search Naropa University



This is where experiential learning meets academic rigor. Where you challenge your intellect and uncover your potential. Where you discover the work you’re moved to do—then use it to transform our world.

“*” indicates required fields

Naropa Logo

Naropa Campuses Closed on Friday, March 15, 2024

Due to adverse weather conditions, all Naropa campuses will be closed Friday, March 15, 2024.  All classes that require a physical presence on campus will be canceled. All online and low-residency programs are to meet as scheduled.

Based on the current weather forecast, the Healing with the Ancestors Talk & Breeze of Simplicity program scheduled for Friday evening, Saturday, and Sunday will be held as planned.

Staff that do not work remotely or are scheduled to work on campus, can work remotely. Staff that routinely work remotely are expected to continue to do so.

As a reminder, notifications will be sent by e-mail and the LiveSafe app.  

Regardless of Naropa University’s decision, if you ever believe the weather conditions are unsafe, please contact your supervisor and professors.  Naropa University trusts you to make thoughtful and wise decisions based on the conditions and situation in which you find yourself in.