AWAKENING BODY, HEART AND MIND
Transforming self—and in turn helping others—through the study of yoga.
Naropa University’s Yoga Teacher Training Certificate Program will immerse you in the history, philosophy, and theory of yoga, as well as give you comprehensive training in its practice and teaching.
As a graduate of the Yoga Teacher Training program, you will receive a 1,000-hour certificate that meets and exceeds the 500-hour requirement of the Yoga Alliance, the largest association representing the yoga community. This program qualifies you to become a Registered Yoga Teacher (RYT 500) with the Yoga Alliance.
Naropa pioneered the first accredited undergraduate Yoga Studies degree program in the United States. Students may complete the certification program as part of their Naropa undergraduate degree, or on its own as a certificate-only program.
Courses you Could Take
in Yoga Teacher Training
The Yoga Teacher Training Certificate Program is a two-year, 30-credit program designed to give you a comprehensive background in the intellectual and experiential yogic traditions as well as proficiency in teaching yoga. You will also acquire a foundation of sitting meditation, human anatomy, and the option to study any one of a number of complimentary courses such as Indian Devotional & Raga Singing, Hindu Yoga-Tantra, and Somatic Intelligence.
To apply for the certificate-only program, please submit the Yoga Teacher Training certificate program application.
Nataraja Kallio directs the Yoga Studies degree program at Naropa. He has been a student of yoga since 1989 and blends his expertise in yoga philosophy and practice while supporting students in developing wisdom and skillfulness in teaching.
- Dhyana and Syama Masla, 2011 are co-founders of Stanton Street Yoga in New York City and teach Yoga and Ayurveda retreats around the world.
- Ashira Greenbaum, 2009, is the co-founder of the ethical marketplace Jewel and Lotus and the fair trade fashion line Salila Rising: Threads for Freedom, which is providing opportunities for Indian women survivors of human trafficking and other abuses.
- Lev Pasikov, 2009, is one of the co-owners of Smoothie Operator, an organic/local smoothie truck in Kalamazoo, Michigan
- Vajra Romano, 2007, is the co-founder of True Self Yoga Studio in Olympia Washington.
“The Yoga Teacher Training was very much in alignment with my path. My first class with Nataraja was memorable for me. His skillful transmission of ancient teachings into modern-day application offers invaluable tools for the path of attaining one’s highest potential. I also have a heartfelt appreciation for the community that formed through this program.” — Emily Seymour, 2006, owns Mind Body Mandala
Estimated 2 Year Program Cost
Based on 2019-2020 rates—these rates are subject to change
$32,700 (30 credits x $1,090 per credit)
$1,240 (includes $250 registration fee and $60 bus pass each semester)
$27,956 ($13,978 per year)
$2,252 ($1,126 per year)
$1,256 ($628 per year)
$8,028 ($4,014 per year)
Students may be eligible for the following each year:
1st year level Federal Direct loans
$5,500 for dependent students ($3,500 may be Subsidized)
$9,500 for independent students ($3,500 may be Subsidized)
Federal Parent PLUS loan
Federal loan available to credit qualifying parents to assist in paying a dependent student’s educational expenses
Available up to Cost of Attendance, minus other forms of aid
Federal Pell Grant
Only available to students with demonstrated financial need, according to the FAFSA
Amount dependent on enrollment status (number of credits each semester)
* Introductory Sanskrit: Language of the Gods (3)
* Yoga I: Foundations (3)
* Yoga II: Psychology & the Subtle Body (3)
* Yoga III: Integral Practice (3)
* Yoga IV: Teacher Training (3)
* Yoga V: Yoga Teacher Training (3)
* Yoga History, Theory, and Philosophy (3)
* Yoga Meditation Practicum (3)
* Anatomy (3)
Choose one of the following elective courses:
* Indian Devotional and Raga Singing (3)
* Sanskrit I (4)
* Hindu Yoga-Tantra (3)
* Somatic Intelligence (3)
* Religion and Mystical Experience (3)