Amelia Hall, DPhil
Job Role: Assistant Professor, Department Chair
University of Oxford: |DPhil in Tibetan and Himalayan Studies 2013|MPhil in Tibetan and Himalayan Studies 2007||University of East Anglia |BA (Hons.) in World Art History 1996|
Department: BA Religious Studies, MA Yoga Studies, Master of Divinity
Academic Programs: BA Religious Studies, MA Yoga Studies, Master of Divinity
Courses Taught: REL611 The First Turning of the Wheel, |REL760 Buddhist Tantra, REL751 Buddhism in Tibet, |REL 546/348 Buddhism and Modernity, |REL645 Methods and Issues in the Study of Religion, |REL150/E Buddhist Journey of Transformation: An Introduction
- How is this Sacred Place Arrayed? Pacification, Increase, Magnetism, and Wrath in the Establishment of an Eastern Himalayan sbas yul : Hidden Lands in Himalayan Myth and History: Transformations of sBas Yul Through Time, Frances Garrett, Elizabeth McDougal, and Geoffrey Samuel (eds.) Brill: Leiden. 2020.
- Embodying the Diamond Sow: Tantric Pilgrims in a Secret Lotus Land. In: Body Trouble: Religious Boundaries for Sex, Gender and Corporeality. Alexandra Cuffel, Ana Echevarria, and Georgios T. Halkias (eds.) Routledge, 2018.
Recent Conference Papers
- Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Religion, online, (2020) Co Chair with Dr Brandon Dotson (Georgetown) Panel: Interspecies Relations in Tibet and the Himalayas. Paper Title: A Grimoire for the Anthropocene: A Guide to Interspecies Reciprocity in the Himalayas. Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Religion, San Diego, USA, 2019.
- Panel: Translating Tibetan Buddhism Presentation Title: Karma Chagme's Condensed Confession to the Earth Lords, 15th International Association of Tibetan Studies Seminar, Paris, France, 2019.
- Panel: Tibetan Environments: Past, Present, and Anthropogenic.|Paper Title: Atonement to the klu: Ritual Expiation, Reciprocity, and Environmental Change in the Eastern Himalayas Tsadra Foundation, Lotsawa Translation Workshop, University of Colorado, Boulder. 2018.
- Presentation: Criteria for Beauty & Readability with Andrew Schelling. Tsadra Foundation, Translation and Transmission Conference. University of Colorado, Boulder, USA. 2017.
- Translator Craft Session: 'Oddities and Curiosities in Tibetan Translation' with Dan Martin. Himalayan Studies Conference V, University of Colorado, Boulder, USA. 2017.
- Association for Nepal and Himalayan Studies. Round Table: Decolonizing Research in the Himalayas, with Anne Parker, Sienna Craig, Amy Holmes-Tagchungdarpa, Dinesh Paudel, and Pasang Sherpa. Panel: Buddhist Ritual in Constituting Himalayan Communities. Paper Title: Making Amends in the Hidden Land: A Ritual of Reparation for the klu of Pachakshiri. 14th International Association of Tibetan Studies Seminar, Bergen, Norway, 2016.
- Panel: Sacred Landscapes in Tibet and the Himalaya. Paper Title: Secrets of Ironwood Mountain: Investigating sbas yul in Arunachal Pradesh.
Collaborations and Editing
- The Myths and Legends of Tibetan treasure revealers. In: Brill's Encyclopedia of Buddhism Vol 2. (2019) Brill: Leiden. The Illusive Play: The Autobiography of the Fifth Dalai Lama (1617-1682). Serindia Publications: Chicago. (Editor with P. Booz) Karmay, Samten G. 2014.