We Are Open!
Thank you for your continued patience with the Bike Shack re-opening! We are ready to serve your mindful transportation needs.
Fall 2020 re-opening protocol
A COVID-19 Mindfulness Approach
Naropa’s student-run community bike shop “The Bike Shack” is here to help students, faculty, staff and alumnx of the University with bicycle maintenance, repair, riding and handling instruction and support.
In “normal times” we would provide in-person services. These would include guiding you through the process, teaching you to do simple repairs yourself. We will do this in the future. However, in order to re-open safely during the ongoing need to protect the community during this pandemic, we have a new protocol for bike services. Read on!
How does it work?
Make a reservation by filling out this simple form.
BIKE SERVICE AND MAINTENANCE FORM
Bike Shack staff will respond within 24-48 hours.
- Free repairs, tune-ups, safety checks and riding tips
- Free or low-cost parts and accessories
In-person visits (outside, masked and physically distant)
- Flat tires
- Seat and handlebar adjustments
- Replace tires and tubes
- Lubricate chains and minor brake adjustments
More technical repairs will be “drop-off and pick-up” only.
Once your services are completed, Bike Shack staff will contact you!
What else should I know?
- Masks are required, even outdoors.
- There will be hand sanitizer available.
- If we are unable to fulfill your service needs, we will provide a referral for another place in town to help service your bicycle. There will be hand sanitizer available.
We will provide more frequent and in-depth in-person services (outdoor, masked, at a distance) when we are fully staffed.
Tune-Ups & Repairs
Just click the above button and fill out the form! The Bike Shack staff are happy to help you with basic tune-ups, fixing flat tires, crooked handlebars, stuck brakes and the like. Often, the Bike Shack can give you spare parts for free, or new parts at cost. Moreover, if you have a safety concern with your bike, don't hesitate to ask us! We will most likely be able to address your concern or refer you to someone who can.
Learning (some services temporarily paused due to pandemic)
The Bike Shack staff can help you learn almost anything about bike mechanics, such as:
- How to ride a bike
- Proper cycling rules and etiquette, both on the street and on the pathways
- Basic bike mechanics
- Sizing and fitting your bike
- How to load your bike onto the busses.
- The best way to lock up your bike and avoid theft
Let us know what you'd like to learn about by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or just stopping by during open hours.
Earn-A-Bike Program (temporarily paused due to pandemic)
This is a service-learning program in which Naropa students, faculty, staff and alumni dedicate time to learning how to build a bike from the ground up with the understanding that they can keep their bike, when finished.
- Earned bikes will be built in the Bike Shack with assistance from Bike Shack staff and from our used parts*
- Open to all Naropa community members
*Naropa Cycles gladly accepts donations of bike parts and bike related items to support this program.
Information & Resources
The Bike Shack staff are happy to help you plan the most effective route to class or work, or answer general questions about bicycles and riding around Boulder. We have maps of the area and can help you plan your routes!
Interested in getting involved and want to gain skills in bike mechanics? You are welcome to volunteer and help out at the Bike Shack during open hours. The Bike Shack is a student-run organization so help of any kind is welcome! Just drop by and talk with the Bike Shack staff if you're interested.