Deadline for Bombay Gin LIterary Journal #48 “Slit Loom”
Looms are the technology of the woven—warps and wefts in which we are all caught up in. We are seeking works of entanglement, where the “I” is not bounded nor stable, but interlaced, knotted up in subjectivities: subjugated technologies, alternative temporalities, patchy knowledges, displaced kin, forgotten songs.
We encourage collaborative works, works that wriggle in the web they have spun, that crisscross genre and gender and strive to point to the larger frame. What canopy awaits at the turn? A kaleidoscope of disasters, from all fronts, and glimmering.
Our identities escape the singular in each moment; aren’t we woven in each present we inhabit?
Some topics we are interested in:
- Collective creations and works by collectives
- Simultaneous temporality (fragments of different times in the same time)
- Technologies of failure (when language is not enough)
- Interdisciplinary collaborations and modes of operation
- Translations of writing, performance, collaborative physical works, 2D works, etc.
Note: While we encourage interdisciplinary work, we are a print journal. Please take into consideration how your work will live on the page.
We will not review submissions which do not adhere to these guidelines.
- 1-5 pages of previously unpublished artwork.
- Artwork should be submitted as a PDF or jpg, with minimum 720DPI; please keep the size of the file under 5mb; note: ALL ARTWORK WILL BE PRINTED IN GRAYSCALE.
- Simultaneous submissions are welcome, however, if your piece is accepted by another publication before ours, please let us know so we can withdraw it from our consideration.
- Rights to your piece remain your own. If your piece is subsequently published, we ask that you note that its original publication was in Bombay Gin.
Bombay Gin Literary Journal does not offer monetary rewards, however, each contributor receives a complimentary issue. International contributors should be aware that there may be constrictions placed on mail from the USA. For international shipping, we are able to give a discount rate.
If you’d like to be put on the mailing list for the Jack Kerouac School to receive the announcement for the next theme and reading period, as well as other news regarding year-round programming and SWP, please write to bgin[at]naropa[dot]edu.
Bombay Gin Literary Journal runs out of the Jack Kerouac School of Disembodied Poetics. This issue is edited and run by the 2023-2024 JKS students and staff. This year marks one of the first times in a long time where the editing staff is majority BIPOC. To celebrate our presence working on this issue, we are embracing and specifically soliciting works from the global majority, Black, Indigenous, People of Color, dual-heritages, people with disabilities, LGBTQIA, immigrants, internationals, and artists who feel marginalized by imperialism. This issue also coincides with Naropa University’s demi-centennial, so please send us your work to join us in celebrating 50 years, and 50 years more!