Transportation / Automobiles

It is not really necessary to have a car while you are a student at Naropa. All students are provided with local bus passes, which allow them to use Boulder's excellent public transportation system free of charge. Students also have access to Naropa's bike fleet—120 bicycles that may be borrowed free of charge for up to one month at a time.

If you bring a car to Boulder or purchase one here, you must register the car in Boulder County as soon as you arrive. Do this at the Motor Vehicle Office, 1750 33rd Street, 303-413-7710. To drive a car in Colorado, you must have a valid driver license—either a license from your country of citizenship, an international driver's license, or a Colorado Driver License.

To apply for a Colorado license, first get a copy of the Colorado Driver Handbook from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office at 2850 Iris Avenue. When you are ready to take the tests required for the license, bring your passport, I-20, and I-94 to the DMV. There you will take a written examination, an eye test (bring your glasses), and a driving test in a car that you provide. The fee is $15.00. You can take the written test first and the driving test at a later date if you prefer. You can call for an appointment for the driving test at 303-442-3006. If you pass the examination, you will be issued a regular Colorado Driver License.

If you own an automobile, you must have approved Colorado motor vehicle liability insurance, as Colorado law requires this. Consult any reliable insurance agent. The cost of automobile insurance is high. Depending on your age, the kind of car you drive, the specific types of coverage you have, and other factors, it will cost between $500 and $1000 per year. Insurance must be considered an essential part of the expenses involved in owning an automobile, as much as the original purchase price, operating expenses, and maintenance.

Do not drive an automobile that is not insured.