Transfer Student FAQs

What type of credits will transfer?
Naropa accepts transfer credit from regionally accredited higher education institutions (colleges and universities); from military colleges; and through the AP, IB, CLEP, and DANTES exams.
Can I apply to a major?
Yes, students can now declare a major at any point – even if they are first time freshmen.
Are there extra application requirements if I apply to a major?


Can I send an unofficial printout of my transcript?

Yes, you may use unofficial transcripts during the application process, however, you will be required to submit official transcripts prior to registration. We require official transcripts from each accredited institution that you have attended. Please send us your most current transcript, even if you apply mid-semester.  All transcripts should be sent directly to:

Office of Admissions
Naropa University
2130 Arapahoe Avenue
Boulder, CO 80302

Do I need to send my high school transcripts?
Official high school transcript(s) are required for both first-time first-year applicants as well as any transfer applicant.
How many credits can I transfer?

Incoming undergraduate students are eligible to transfer up to 75 credit hours to Naropa's degree programs from other accredited institutions. This means that, at most, incoming students can begin their studies at Naropa as a first-semester junior.

Please see Naropa's transfer credit page for more information.

Will my credits count as core requirements?
Yes, if the course content is equivalent to a Naropa core course syllabus (with some exceptions—see below). Transferable credits that don't match core requirements will be assigned as electives. Please see Naropa's transfer credit page for more information.
Can I transfer credits into my major?

Undergraduate students may allocate transfer credits toward program requirements as follows: up to 18 credits may be transferred into a major, and up to 6 credits may be transferred into a minor, as determined by the respective program.

Up to 46 credits may be transferred into the BA Elementary Education major.

Can I transfer courses from schools outside the United States?
Yes, if they are independently evaluated by an international evaluation agency and shown to be equivalent to college level work in the United States. Please see Naropa's transfer credit page for more information.
Can I get college credit for life and professional experience?
In most cases, incoming students cannot receive credit for previous life or professional experience. The only exception is if students take CLEP and DANTES exams in your chosen subjects. Please see Naropa's transfer credit page for more information.
When do I find out how my credits count toward my Naropa degree?

Naropa evaluates transfer credits for applicants only after they are accepted into the University's degree programs. The Registrar's Office sends successful applicants an initial transfer evaluation report within a few weeks after acceptance, and students have until the end of their entering semester to finalize their transfer credits with their academic advisor. Credits that are "in progress" during the application process can be evaluated for transfer once final grades are received.

If you would like to discuss your transcript with an admissions counselor before applying, you may set up an informal information session by phone or through an in-person appointment. Our counselors will be happy to discuss your transcript and the likelihood of transfer eligibility, but please note that the final transcript evaluation will be done by the Registrar's Office only after a student has been accepted.

Will my GPA be affected by transfer credits?
Your GPA at Naropa will not include your grades from other institutions.
Are graduate applicants eligible to transfer credit?
Naropa University's graduate programs may accept up to 6 semester units of transfer credit from other universities. This is not an automatic policy; it is at the discretion of each department. Decisions are made on a case-by-case basis. Credits must have been earned within five years of application to Naropa, and must carry a grade of "B" or better. No Pass (P), Credit (CR), or Satisfactory (S) work will be accepted. Credits must come from a regionally accredited college (international on a case-by-case basis), and no credit will be awarded for contemplative practice courses.
Who can help me with complicated transfer questions?
Our admissions counselors will be happy to discuss your transfer questions! For the quickest response, we suggest emailing our office at with your questions. If you would like to speak with a counselor over the phone or in person, you may set up an information session by emailing , calling our office at 303-546-3572 or 1-800-772-6951, or by filling out our visit form. Please note that only accepted students can receive an official transcript evaluation from our Registrar's Office.