How do I...? 

Library Accounts

How do I get a library card?
If you are a student or employee, your Naropa ID is your library card. See to learn how to set up your library account.
How do i use the libraries at CU?

CU Norlin Library is currently closed to non-CU affliiates. See here for updates:

How do I check out books if I am not a Naropa Affiliate?
During the Covid-19 pandemic only Naropa community members can utilize library resources.
Your password should be assigned when you set up your library account. If you do not know your password or user ID for Howlcat, please contact the circulation desk at

Books and the Collection

How do I find the ________ section in the library?
Books in the library are arranged by subject using the Library of Congress classification system. The Library of Congress Classification Outline shows you where books on various subjects are located in the library.
How do I read this call number?
Read this helpful tutorial on how to read call numbers in academic libraries.
How do I search for books in the Allen Ginsberg Library?
To find books, videos, CDs and DVDs in the Allen Ginsberg Library, search HOWLcat, the library catalog. To search for a specific title, type it in (excluding initial articles - A, The, etc.) and change the drop-down box to "Title". To search for a specific author, type in the last name followed by first name (if you know it) and change the drop-down box to "Author." If you are looking for books on a particular topic, type in keywords and change the drop-down box to "Words Anywhere".
How do I renew a book?
Books can be renewed online through HOWLcat, the library catalog: Click on "Login to your account" in the upper right corner. In the Login field type your username, then type your password (given to you when you set up your account). If you have lost your password or have other problems, contact the library by emailing, or in person by bringing them to the circulation desk.
How do I find a book on a particular topic?
To find books in the Allen Ginsberg Library on a particular topic, search HOWLcat, the library catalog. Type keywords into the search boxes, and leave the drop-down box set to “Words Anywhere”, then click on "Search".

Other Services

How do I have an article or book I need sent here from another library?
The library has a service called Interlibrary Loan that allows current students, faculty or staff to request books or articles that the Allen Ginsberg Library does not own or have access to. Books and articles generally take from 1 to 4 weeks to come in. Books typically have a 4 week checkout period. Articles are yours to keep. For additional information, including how to place a request, visit the Interlibrary Loan page.

Articles, Journals & Databases

How do I determine if you have a particular journal?
Search HOWLcat, the library catalog to see if the library owns the journal in print. Do a title search or a periodical title search. If we don’t own it, you can also see if we have the journal available in full-text online – check the Online Journal Locator.
How do I find full-text of an article?
If you have a citation for an article (title, author, journal information) and want to find the article online in full-text, do a journal title search in the Online Journal Locator. This will tell you if any of our databases with full-text include that journal.
How do I search for articles on a particular topic?
The library subscribes to numerous databases, most of which contain citations to journal and magazine articles. In many cases, full-text is available online. From the Research Databases page, use the drop-down box to choose a database in your subject area, or, choose one of the general of multidisciplinary databases (e.g. Academic Search Premier). After choosing an appropriate database, enter keywords related to your topic, and search. For more help with searching, visit the Tutorials and Guides for Research page.
How do I access databases from off-campus?
Because Naropa databases are licensed for use by current students, faculty and staff only, when off-campus you must go through a login process to be recognized as a Naropa affiliate. When you click on a link for a database from off-site, a page will come up with text boxes to enter login information. If you are a student, you must use your MyNaropa username and password to log in to access a database. Faculty and staff can use either MyNaropa username and password or Naropa network username and password. You will then be automatically routed through our proxy server to the database you clicked on. For more information, visit the Off-Campus Login Help page.

Audiovisual Material & Equipment

How do I get a copy of a Naropa audio or video tape?
The Naropa University Audio and Video Archives are now completely digitized and preserved. However, as indexing them takes time, only a portion is currently available to the public. These can be found at the Naropa University Archives website. Due to certain copyright restrictions, items not currently available on our site are only for in house use. All requests for assistance in finding non-indexed items should be made in person or via email to The library will make every effort to have a digital copy available for listening within two weeks.