The Six Essential Learning Outcomes of a Naropa Education
All undergraduate programs and courses at Naropa University are aligned to the six
essential learning outcomes of the university and are the hallmark of a Naropa education.
- Competency in Contemplative Theory and Practice: Graduates are able to engage the world through unbiased awareness and presence of
self, insight and clarity of mind, as well as compassionate practice.
- Skillfulness in Addressing Diversity and Ecological Sustainability: Graduates are able to think critically and analytically about social and cultural
diversity; they recognize the interconnectedness of the human community to ecological
sustainability and cultivate sustainable practices.
- Ability to Employ Multiple Modes of Inquiry, Knowing and Expression: Graduates are able to think, read, and write analytically and critically; use academic
research methodology; utilize library resources and technical media. Graduates understand
and are able to employ the contribution of the arts to human inquiry, knowing and
- Embody Intra-and Inter-personal Capacities: Graduates are able to effectively communicate as individuals and in collaboration
with others through empathetic listening and inquiry, embodied deep listening and
dialogue, and intercultural competency in diverse groups.
- Demonstrate Knowledge and Skill in a Discipline or Area of Study: Graduates develop a comprehensive understanding of both foundational and advanced
concepts and methods in their area of study; build awareness of contemporary issues;
and demonstrate the ability to apply, synthesize or create knowledge through a capstone
project or paper.
- Apply Learning in Real World Settings: Graduates are able and inclined to engage real-world challenges and work ethically
and effectively across diverse communities drawing on disciplinary competency, civic
knowledge, presence and personal values, and creative intelligence.
The six essential learning outcomes have been developed by undergraduate faculty into
a comprehensive set of developmental learning outcomes with introductory, milestone,
and capstone learning levels. Naropa's undergraduate general education program supports
student achievement at the introductory level of these six learning outcomes while
courses in a student's major program of study are aimed at milestone and capstone
learning levels, which require higher order thinking skills. The outcomes are a "through
line" that a student will realize within their student journey. Naropa College and
the faculty of the respective majors regularly review evidence of student learning
to ensure that this promise is kept.