Student Highlight: Caroline Sell on Art Therapy

image1
Caroline Sell

Jennifer Deininger interviewing Caroline Sell – 2nd year transfer student at Naropa University in the BA Art Therapy Program.

How is art a contemplative practice for you?

I always start at the beginning. Art has always been this process of filling out the space, rather than creating space and filling it in. It’s like a flame, often starting small and then growing. It’s about the process of discovering the space, rather than the end product of having it filled. It’s contemplative because it’s not about creating anything for me, but rather sitting with the space and seeing what arises.

What has your experience been of art as therapy/ art for healing?

I learned this word in one of my classes with Leah Friedman: sublimation. It’s the process of transforming energy beyond catharsis. My artwork isn’t just cathartic, it’s sublimation for my emotions. When I start a piece of art in some emotional state (i.e. grief, anger, confusion, bitterness) the artwork becomes a process of softening, transforming, and ultimately manifesting authenticity. My art making softens me back into a state of equilibrium and serenity.

Why Naropa?

I don’t have exact words why. When I know something is what I’m supposed to be doing in this world, I do it. Naropa provides a stable and familiar atmosphere with a pedagogy that I work well with. This stable foundation allows me to push myself in my Art Therapy studies.

What piece are you showing me today?

My pink crocheted bun hat. I love making hats, scarves, mittens, and leg warmers. I enjoy making useful products through ceramics, fiber arts, and jewelry. Wearing my art, and having others wear my art, brings me joy.

As someone who loves color, I’ve noticed you have a theme of pink in a lot of your work. Can you speak to that?

Pink is a safe color for me. It calms me down. Having pink hair, looking at pink, and wearing pink brings me a sense of safety. It’s even better making my own pink accessories. Pink is grounding.

Follow Naropa Art Therapy on Instagram or join our Art Therapy Facebook Group.

BLOG ARCHIVES

Search Naropa University

Search

YOU ARE READY.

This is where experiential learning meets academic rigor. Where you challenge your intellect and uncover your potential. Where you discover the work you’re moved to do—then use it to transform our world.

“*” indicates required fields

Naropa Logo

Naropa Campuses Closed on Friday, March 15, 2024

Due to adverse weather conditions, all Naropa campuses will be closed Friday, March 15, 2024.  All classes that require a physical presence on campus will be canceled. All online and low-residency programs are to meet as scheduled.

Based on the current weather forecast, the Healing with the Ancestors Talk & Breeze of Simplicity program scheduled for Friday evening, Saturday, and Sunday will be held as planned.

Staff that do not work remotely or are scheduled to work on campus, can work remotely. Staff that routinely work remotely are expected to continue to do so.

As a reminder, notifications will be sent by e-mail and the LiveSafe app.  

Regardless of Naropa University’s decision, if you ever believe the weather conditions are unsafe, please contact your supervisor and professors.  Naropa University trusts you to make thoughtful and wise decisions based on the conditions and situation in which you find yourself in.