Classes: scheduled monthly. Join the mailing list to receive announcements.
Services provided by Naropa Cycles
Information & Resources
Naropa Cycles staff are happy to help you plan the most effective route to class or work. We provide maps of bike routes as well as road rule manuals. We have a list of resources including local businesses where one can buy a bike and accessories.
Although Naropa Cycles and its inhabitants are always happy to provide impromptu information and assistance with maintenance, we will also be providing more structured and focused classes. The classes are open to all Naropa students, faculty, and staff. Bike repair, maintenance, and safety classes are some of the many benefits of being a Naropa Cycles Member.
Additional classes offered:
- Basic Bike Maintenance
- Commuting Skills
- Bike Fit
- Personal Sustainable Transportation Planning
- Emergency Repair
Let us know what you'd like to learn about by emailing Naropa Cycles or the Transportation Office. Join the mailing list list to receive announcements.
In Fall 2013, Naropa Cycles instituted a new program to replace the rental fleet: Earning a bike for you to keep and integrate into your lifestyle. This is a service-learning program in which participants dedicate time to learning how to maintain a bike and are then offered the opportunity to put a bike together that they will keep.
- Participants are required to complete fifteen hours of service learning with Naropa Cycles.
- At least five of the Fifteen hours must be participation in bike classes.
- After the completion of the service learning time, participants will have one academic year to build up a bike for their commuting needs.
- Earned bikes will be built in the Bike Shack with assistance from Naropa Cycles staff and from our used parts.
- Naropa Cycles classes and the EAB program have limited space and the cozy Shack can accommodate up to Eight (8) participants at a time.
- Naropa community members must fill out the Earn-A-Bike sign-up form to participate.
Naropa Cycles gladly accepts donations of bike parts and bike related items.
Have your own bike? Tired of having to wait for someone to look at the scary noise it's making or paying up to $100 for a tune up? Want to customize your bike or make it go faster?
Join Naropa Cycles with a membership and learn to fix your own bike!
Membership is now free for current students, faculty, and staff.
Other community members can also benefit from a membership at the low cost of $15 a semester or $30 yearly (including the summer).
As a member you will receive a designated "bike buddy" who will gauge your progress and offer support for your projects. You will have access to tools, a bike stand, a truing stand and you can order bike parts inexpensively as a member. Sign up in the Transportation Office or Naropa Cycles.
Our mechanics provide a limited repair service to non-members. If you help with the repairs, you can expect to pay only for the parts. Air is always available for free.
Change a Flat
With Help $5
Patch a Flat
With help: $2
Tire levers, tubes, patch kits, mirrors, and bells are also available for purchase. See a mechanic for details.
If you have a safety concern with your bike, don't hesitate to ask a us. We will most likely be able to address your concern or refer you to someone who can.
Naropa Cycles also has bike path maps available for free and can answer questions regarding commuting.
Group bike rides are a great way to meet other cyclists and get to know the local bike paths and lanes. During these rides we also practice safety, proper road rules, and etiquette. Sign up on the mailing list for times and dates.
Renting a bike from Naropa Cycles
Naropa Cycles provides short term rentals in cases of emergencies and for students of the summer programs. This small fleet of 30 bikes is subject to availability. Bikes come with locks and are available for use from one day up to one week. Two consecutive weeks is the maximum rental period. During your rental we are happy to help you sort out your transportation needs and plan a more sustainable commute.
Some things to keep in mind:
- Naropa bikes are for emergencies, summer programs, and are temporary
- Bikes can only be checked out for a maximum of two weeks
- Bike may only be checked out in person and are subject to availability
- You are responsible for theft, damage, and late fees
- Naropa ID or credit card information is required to check out a bike
- Copies of the bike contract are available to take home
Included with the bike rental is a cable-lock. Additional equipment can also be rented or purchased:
- Helmets: Free rental with bike upon request
- Cable Locks: Free rental with bike, can also be rented individually
- Lights: $15-$30 purchase