Additional Admission Requirements
Please note that the MA Transpersonal Counseling Psychology: Art Therapy program is no longer accepting applications for fall 2015. The application, requirements, and interview dates for fall 2016 will be available in September.
In addition to the standard graduate admissions requirements, the following is required to apply for Fall 2015 admittance to the MA Transpersonal Counseling Psychology: Art Therapy program:
- Psychology Prerequisites (12 semester credit hours)
- One 3 semester credit course in Abnormal Psychology (example courses: Psychopathology, Abnormal Behavior)
- One 3 semester credit course in Developmental Psychology (example courses: Life Span Development, Child Development, Child Psychology)
- Two 3 semester credit courses in psychology electives (example courses: Introduction to Psychology/General Psychology, Theories of Personality)
- Studio Art Prerequisites (18 semester-credit hours)
- One 3 semester credit art studio course in Drawing
- One 3 semester credit art studio course in Painting
- One 3 semester credit art studio course in a 3D medium (Sculpture or Ceramics)
- Three 3 semester credit courses in studio art electives
Naropa University requires an earned grade of "C" or higher for all prerequisite coursework. Due to the competitive nature and academic rigor of the MA Transpersonal Counseling Psychology: Art Therapy program, a grade of "B" or above is recommended. All prerequisites are to be completed at accredited on-site or online academic institutions for credit (not pass/fail or audited). Official transcripts of this coursework must be sent to the Office of Admissions, and all courses are subject to approval and may require additional documentation such as a syllabus or course description.
Applicants must submit an official transcript showing proof of completion of the prerequisite coursework by August 1, 2015. To ensure that transcripts of prerequisite coursework arrive to the Office of Admissions by August 1, 2015, we strongly recommend that all prerequisites are completed no later than July 1, 2015. Applicants cannot take prerequisites alongside their Naropa coursework, and prerequisites cannot be taken at Naropa without enrolling as a full-time undergraduate student.
If using the online application, please record prerequisite coursework and details in the spaces provided. If using a paper application, please record all prerequisite coursework on the MA Transpersonal Counseling Psychology: Art Therapy Supplemental Application Form and submit the form with the paper application. Official transcripts of this coursework must be sent to the Office of Admissions for both online and paper applicants.
Visual Art Portfolio
Applicants are required to submit a well-rounded portfolio of 20 different pieces of original art. Your portfolio must include both 2D and 3D work as well as any other areas of specialization. The portfolio needs to demonstrate two primary skill sets:
- Knowledge of a wide range of art materials and processes.
- Depth of work as an artist, showing maturity with form and content within a theme.
The portfolio needs to be accompanied by a portfolio summary that lists the following for each piece:
- Brief descriptive comment
- Media used
- Date completed
Portfolios should only be uploaded in the following file formats: JPG, TIF, PNG, GIF, PDF, or Word.
Statement of Interest Essay
In a three-to-four page typed, double-spaced, 12 point font essay, please respond to the following three questions. Refer to Introduction to Art Therapy: Sources and Resources (J.A. Rubin, 2009) and Psychotherapy and Spirit: Theory and Practice in Transpersonal Psychotherapy (B. Cortright, 1997) when writing your essay. When pulling information from either book, paraphrase the author rather than lifting direct quotes.
- Define and clarify your understanding of:
- art therapy
- transpersonal psychology
- contemplative practice
Note: if invited to an on-campus interview, you will be asked to summarize these three points.
- First describe your personal relationship to art as a transformative process. Then choose one piece from your portfolio and consider how it reveals healing and transpersonal themes.
- In your conclusion, discuss why you are interested in attending the MA in Transpersonal Counseling Psychology: Art Therapy program at Naropa University.
Minimum GPA Requirement
Applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of a 2.9 to be admitted into the program. Applicants who have a cumulative GPA that is lower than the minimum may be considered on an individual basis dependent upon the strength of the applicant pool for each year.
Due to number of applications received each year, it may not be possible to schedule an interview for every candidate. The Office of Admissions will assess a candidate's completed application to determine if the candidate will move forward in the process and be invited to an interview. On-campus interviews are a required part of the admissions process; you will be asked to indicate your preference of interview date within the application. Please note that this is a preference and not a guarantee that you will receive an interview invitation or that your interview will occur on the selected date.
The dates for the 2015 interviews are as follows:
- Saturday, February 7
- Saturday, February 14