Additional Admission Requirements
In addition to the standard graduate admissions requirements, the following is required to apply for Fall 2014 admittance to the MA Transpersonal Counseling Psychology: Art Therapy program:
- Psychology Prerequisites (12 semester-credit hours)
- One 3-semester-credit course in Abnormal Psychology (example courses: Psychopathology, Abnormal Behavior)
- One 3-semester-credit course in Developmental Psychology (example courses: Life Span Development, Child Development, Child Psychology)
- One 3-semester-credit course in Theories of Personality (example courses: Methods of Psychotherapy, Psychology of Personality, Introduction to Personality, History and Systems of Psychology)
- One 3-semester-credit course in a Psychology elective
- Studio Art Prerequisites (18 semester-credit hours)
- One 3-semester-credit art studio course in Drawing
- One 3-semester credit art studio course in Painting
- One 3-semester credit art studio course in a 3D medium (Sculpture, Ceramics, or Clay)
- Three 3-semester-credit courses in studio art electives
A grade of "B" or above is recommended for all prerequisite coursework. If applicants earned a grade below a "B," it is recommended that they retake the course. An Unofficial Coursework Evaluation Worksheet is now available to help you track your prerequisite coursework.
All prerequisites are to be completed at accredited on-site or online academic institutions for credit (not Pass/Fail or Audited). Applicants must submit an official transcript showing proof of completion of the prerequisite coursework by August 1, 2014. If applicants apply before their prerequisite coursework is completed, they must submit proof of scheduled enrollment in the prerequisite coursework. To ensure that transcripts of prerequisite coursework arrive to the Office of Admissions by August 1, 2014, we strongly recommend that all prerequisites are completed no later than July 1, 2014. Applicants cannot take prerequisites alongside their Naropa coursework, and prerequisites cannot be taken at Naropa without enrolling as a full-time undergraduate student.
If using the online application, please record prerequisite coursework and details in the spaces provided. If using a paper application, please record all prerequisite coursework on the MA Transpersonal Counseling Psychology: Art Therapy Supplemental Application Form and submit the form with the paper application. Official transcripts of this coursework must be sent to the Office of Admissions for both online and paper applicants.
Visual Art Portfolio:
Applicants are required to submit a well-rounded portfolio of 20 different pieces of original art on a CD, DVD, flash drive, or slides, which includes:
- 2D and 3D work
- Any other areas of specialization
- No more than four images should be on each page
The portfolio needs to demonstrate two primary skill sets:
- Demonstrated knowledge of a wide range of art materials and processes.
- Depth of work as an artist, showing maturity with form and content within a theme.
The portfolio needs to be accompanied by a portfolio summary. This summary must be a typed, and must list for each of the 20 pieces:
- Brief descriptive comment
- Media used
- Date completed
If you would like the portfolio returned to you once an admissions decision has been made, please include a self-addressed return (padded) envelope with adequate postage.
Statement of Interest Essay:
In a three-to-four page typed, double-spaced, 12 point font essay, please respond to the following three questions. Refer to Introduction to Art Therapy: Sources and Resources (J.A. Rubin, 2009) and Psychotherapy and Spirit: Theory and Practice in Transpersonal Psychotherapy (B. Cortright, 1997) when writing your essay.
Define and clarify your understanding of:
- art therapy
- transpersonal psychology
- contemplative practice
Describe your personal relationship to art as a transformative process from a transpersonal point of view In your conclusion, discuss why you are interested in attending the MA in Transpersonal Counseling Psychology: Art Therapy program at Naropa University.
Minimum GPA Requirement:
Applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of a 2.9 to be admitted into the program. Applicants who have a cumulative GPA that is lower than the minimum may be considered on an individual basis dependent upon the strength of the applicant pool for each year.
Candidates are required to have a personal interview before an admissions decision can be made. Candidates chosen for interviews will be invited to attend one of the MA Transpersonal Counseling Psychology: Art Therapy Interview Days (dates to be announced). In addition to group and individual interviews, candidates will have an opportunity to observe a class, talk to faculty and current students, take a campus tour, and meet with a financial aid counselor.
The dates for the 2014 interviews are as follows:
- Saturday, February 8
- Saturday, February 15
If candidates are unable to make the in-person interview due to an extreme situation, they will discuss alternative options with the interview committee once they have been invited to the interview.
Toll Free: 800-772-6951
2130 Arapahoe Avenue
Boulder, CO 80302