Additional Admission Requirements
In addition to the standard graduate admissions requirements, the following is required to apply for fall 2016 admittance to the MA Clinical Mental Health Counseling: Mindfulness-Based Transpersonal Counseling program:
Statement of InterestIn a three-to-four page typed, double-spaced, 12 point font essay, please respond to the following questions. Refer to Psychotherapy and Spirit: Theory and Practice in Transpersonal Psychotherapy (B. Cortright, 1997) when writing your essay.
1. Define and clarify your understanding of:
- Transpersonal psychology
- Contemplative practice
2. All of Naropa University's counseling programs offer skills training and counseling career preparation, diversity work, contemplative practice, community engagement, and deep personal reflection. How are you prepared to participate in this distinctive community, and how would your life and educational goals be reached by attending Mindfulness-Based Transpersonal Counseling program? Using specific examples from your life experience, please describe your inspiration, intention, and commitment to studying psychotherapy in the Mindfulness-Based Transpersonal Counseling program. Describe your vision of how your education will allow you to be of service in the world.
Please be sure to include:
- Your experience with working in service to others, as a professional or volunteer, in a mental health or comparable setting and what you have learned about yourself in the process.
- How you have engaged in working with your own personal process and how these experiences have prepared you for completing the program to which you are applying.
- Your experience with sitting meditation and/or body/mind awareness disciplines.
Exposure to fieldwork, ideally, gives you a basis of experience from which to begin to understand the mental health fields, clarify career goals, and determine potential populations of interest. Please describe what you have done to complete the 100 hours of required fieldwork experience in direct service to others.
- One 3 semester credit course in Abnormal Psychology
- One 3 semester credit course in Developmental Psychology
- One 3 semester credit course in Theories of Personality
Proposed equivalent courses titled differently than those listed above must be supported by a syllabus or a sealed letter from the instructor verifying course content. Please attach or send this documentation under separate cover and indicate the course titles in application.
A grade of "C" or above is required for all prerequisite coursework. All prerequisites are to be completed at accredited on-site or online academic institutions for credit (not Pass/Fail or Audited). Applicants must submit an official transcript showing proof of completion of the prerequisite coursework by August 1, 2016. If applicants apply before their prerequisite coursework is completed, they must submit proof of scheduled enrollment in the prerequisite coursework. To ensure that transcripts of prerequisite coursework arrive to the Office of Admissions by August 1, 2016, we strongly recommend that all prerequisites are completed no later than July 1, 2016. Applicants cannot take prerequisites alongside their Naropa coursework, and prerequisites cannot be taken at Naropa without enrolling as a full-time undergraduate student.
Professional Experience and Extended Résumé
Applicants are required to have had experience in a helping profession, such as mental health work, teaching, nursing, etc. This experience can have been gained through paid employment or through volunteering. Specifically:
- Applicants must have spent a minimum of 2 hours/week for 12 months working or volunteering in a helping profession.
- Applicants must have spent a minimum of 100 hours in direct contact with clients, students, or patients.
Applicants must detail this experience in the required résumé component of the application, along with their educational background and other work experience. Applicants are encouraged to be specific, and the résumé does not have a page limit.
Candidates are required to have a personal interview before an admissions decision can be made. Candidates chosen for interviews will be invited to attend one of the Mindfulness-Based Transpersonal Counseling Interview Days. In addition to group and individual interviews, candidates will have an opportunity to observe a class, talk to faculty and current students, take a campus tour and meet with a financial aid counselor.
2016 Interview Dates:
- Saturday, February 20, 2016
- Saturday, March 12, 2016
- Saturday, April 16, 2016